The 3D Object Creation and Compositing System for Amiga
ScapeMaker Version 4.0 Saves LightWave Objects (.LWO format), Too!
ScapeMaker was originally released in 1992 as a tool for creating 3D objects
for the Vista/VistaPro DEM (Digital Elevation Map) format. ScapeMaker has
undergone several revisions since then and now has a sophisticated GUI and
a LightWave object saver.
ScapeMaker can transform 2D images into 3D objects. ScapeMaker can also
load existing VistaPro DEM files and composite them in a variety of ways.
For example, ScapeMaker lets you load in a IFF image, make it into a 3D object,
then load in an existing DEM object and add it to the one just created from
a flat IFF image. You can extrude your logo from a mountaintop!
ScapeMaker provides two simultaneous 3D object work areas, both of which are
visible. The work areas show the 3D object in 16 shades of gray, with higher
'elevations' (Z-values) shown in the lighter shades. A legend beneath each
work area shows the maximum and minimum Z values of the work area.
In addition to the convenient GUI, ScapeMaker also lets you access most functions
from menus with keyboard shortcuts. There is also a very thorough ARexx command
set for all of the ScapeMaker capabilities.
About ScapeMaker's 3D Objects
- ScapeMaker's VistaPro DEM Objects - 258x258 and 514x514 Point Landscape Sheets
ScapeMaker's original purpose was to create and composite VistaPro DEM objects.
VistaPro DEMs (Digital Elevation Maps) exist in two specific forms which are
relevant to ScapeMaker. VistaPro DEMs are 'crumpled sheets'. That means they
really have no thickness. They represent a square area of (originally, planet
Earth's) landscape. Each point in a DEM represents a X, Y, and Z position. The
Z position is the elevation (above 'sea level') for a place on the surface. But
there is no 'bottom' underneath it. A DEM is therefore a sheet with no real
'thickness'. VistaPro DEM formats for ScapeMaker include the two basic VistaPro
fixed sizes, 258x258 points (an original or 'small' VistaPro DEM) and 514x514
points (the newer 'large' VistaPro DEM).
ScapeMaker can create, load, process, and save these two types of VistaPro DEM
- ScapeMaker's LightWave 3D Objects
ScapeMaker Version 4.0 can now also save the 3D objects it creates in LightWave
LWO format. This makes the 258x258 (sorry, no 514x514) 'crumpled sheet'
landscapes accessible to LightWave. ScapeMaker won't save LWO objects of
514x514 size as they consists of way too many polygons to be practical.
ScapeMaker Version 4.0 comes with 5 'pre-formatted' LightWave objects which
you use when you want to create LWO formats for the 3D objects you make. You
get a 258x258 'sheet' divided into 4 'quadrants' of 130x130 points each. These
four quadrant objects load properly into LightWave in the same spatial positions
you'd expect them to. They also abut one another properly with one point of
overlap so there is no unsightly gap between them. Each of these 'quadrant'
objects consists of 16900 points (16641 polygons). Were ScapeMaker to create a
single LWO object out of the entire 258x258 DEM, then LightWave would not be
able to load it (LightWave is limited to objects with fewer than 65536 points).
You also get a pre-formatted LWO 'sheet' covering the whole 258x258 object, but
at 1/2 resolution (every other point of the DEM object). This yields a LWO
object of about 17500 polygons.
When you want to save your ScapeMaker creations in LightWave format, you simply
place the pre-formatted LWO files (supplied with ScapeMaker) into your RAM:
disk. When you tell ScapeMaker to perform a SAVE DEM operation, ScapeMaker
will automatically look for and modify the LWO objects you have placed in the
RAM: disk. The LWO object creation is completely transparent and automatic!
There are other methods of transforming VistaPro DEMs to LightWave, but they
are not correct for LightWave. ScapeMaker assures that your LightWave objects
consists of square polygons! That makes them correct for LightWave.
, MegageM's amazing fractal art and animation software also can
create VistaPro DEM objects and now incorporates the same LightWave object
saver as we've implemented for ScapeMaker.
ScapeMaker is the ONLY program which can load and then convert VistaPro DEM
objects directly into LightWave objects in the correct way.
Obtaining VistaPro and LightWave 3D Rendering Packages
ScapeMaker DEM objects can be rendered as 3D objects by VistaPro. VistaPro
is published (for the PC) by Virtual Reality Laboratories (805-544-8515) and
(for the Amiga) by Chaocity (805-925-7732).
ScapeMaker DEM objects can also be rendered with Scenery Animator for the Amiga,
available from Natural Graphics.
LightWave objects can be rendered only by LightWave (available on PC, Alpha,
Amiga, SGI, and MIPS computers), published by
MegageM is a dealer for both VistaPro and
NewTek and related products
, so you can obtain both rendering tools from MegageM.
Ordering from MegageM is easy.
Here are ScapeMaker's Features:
- Load IFF Images:
- NTSC Lo-Res (320x200 to 384x240)
- NTSC Hi-Res (640x400 to 768x480)
- PAL Lo-Res (320x256 to 384x296)
- PAL Hi-Res (640x512 to 768x592)
- ECS 2 to 32-color and HAM6 (Lo-Res HAM6 only)
- AGA 256-color (Lo- and Hi-Res, on AGA systems only)
- Select 258x258 VistaPro DEM 3D Object Size
- Select 514x514 VistaPro DEM 3D Object Size
- Load VistaPro DEM to Active Work Area
- Outline Image Region (for conversion to 3D object)
- Up to 258x258 pixel area for 'Small' VistaPro Objects
- Up to 514x514 pixel area for 'Large' VistaPro Objects
- Set Image to 3D Conversion by:
- Palette Entry Number (Z value from 0 to 255, depending on image)
- RGB Color Value (Z value from 0 to 4095, depending on image)
- Set Z Value Orientation for 3D Object Creation
- Extrusion (Relief, Positive) Z values
- Carved (Incuse, Negative) Z values
- Select Inset (replace only part of existing work area with new 3D object)
- Make 3D Object (from outlined image region, according to above settings)
- Activate Left or Right Work Area (all activities apply to active work area)
- Scaling Operations
- Set Scale Factor from 1 to 99
- Scale or Un-Scale Active Work Area (multiply or divide Z values by scale factor)
- Level Shifting Operations
- Set Constant Value from 0 to 9900
- Add or Subtract Constant Value to or from Active Work Area
- 3D Object Compositing Operations
- Add or Subtract 3D Objects - Add or Subtract Inactive Work Area to Active Work Area
- Boolean Operations from GUI, Menus, and ARexx/DOS
- NEG DEM (logical two's complement NEGATIVE of the Active Work Area)
- NOT DEM (logical bit-wise NOT on the Active Work Area)
- OR DEMs (logical bit-wise OR Inactive to Active Work Area)
- AND DEMs (logical bit-wise AND Inactive to Active Work Area)
- XOR DEMs (logical bit-wise Exclusive OR Inactive to Active Work Area)
- 3D Object Smoothing Operations
- Set X-direction and Y-Direction Smoothing Factors
- Smooth Active Work Area (according to X- and Y- smoothing factors)
- 3D Object Saving Operations
- Save VistaPro DEM Object
- Automatic LightWave Format Object Save!
- Complete User Interaction and Control Features
- Full Amiga-style GUI
- Menus with Keyboard Shortcuts
- Complete ARexx and AmigaDos Control (script and single commands)
The ScapeMaker GUI and 3D Object Work Areas
The screen shot image you may view (below) shows ScapeMaker's GUI layout.
You can see the two work area displays on the lower portion of the GUI and
the feature selection buttons at the top. For this image, the left work area
shows a 3D object made from an IFF image of MegageM's logo. The work area on
the right shows an existing VistaPro DEM of a mountain, and the MegageM logo
object has been 'added' to it!
ScapeMaker is now at Version 4.0.
ScapeMaker v4.0 costs only $49.95!
Ordering ScapeMaker is easy.
Full-Size ScapeMaker Images For Viewing and Downloads
ScapeMaker LightWave Render - (752x480, 256-color GIF, 55KB)
ScapeMaker 4.0 GUI Screen Shot - (640x400, 256-color GIF, 22KB)
This page is under construction... we'll add some ScapeMaker 3D
LightWave object downloads!
Updated August 22, 1996
Come back soon ...